What I like about VS
Vincent Bergeron
2008-08-07 15:16:56 UTC
Hi!

I'm new to VS and C#. Doing little projects in C# because we're implementing
SharePoint solutions. But I'm a D7 day-to-day user.

What I like about VS, it's all the "Solution" thing and how it works.

For example, I create a solution, add a Class Library, add a Console Test
Application and a Forms application.

I write my classes in the Class Library. Than I tell the Test Application
that I use the Class Library project. I can test my classes in the console
application just by adding this refecence to the proejct. Can do the same
thing with the Forms application.

I never used Delphi above Delphi 7. Can this sort of thing be done? Is there
a "Class Library" equivalent?

I also never used projects groups in Delphi. Can we achieve the same thing
using this?

Waiting for your answers.

Thanks

VB
Yogi Yang
2008-08-07 15:47:58 UTC
Post by Vincent Bergeron
Hi!
I'm new to VS and C#. Doing little projects in C# because we're implementing
SharePoint solutions. But I'm a D7 day-to-day user.
What I like about VS, it's all the "Solution" thing and how it works.
For example, I create a solution, add a Class Library, add a Console Test
Application and a Forms application.
I write my classes in the Class Library. Than I tell the Test Application
that I use the Class Library project. I can test my classes in the console
application just by adding this refecence to the proejct. Can do the same
thing with the Forms application.
I never used Delphi above Delphi 7. Can this sort of thing be done? Is there
a "Class Library" equivalent?
I also never used projects groups in Delphi. Can we achieve the same thing
using this?
From what I have tried in Delphi 2006 IDE I can say that we can't do
what you are doing in VS.

Every dame component will have to be installed in the IDE before you can
use it and that is really very tiresome when developing and testing
components, etc.

You can build or compile all the projects in a project group with a
click of a mouse (err... actually 2 clicks ;) ) but that is it. Nothing
more than that is possible.

The style and concept of loading a component only when needed instead of
installing it in the IDE and they gets loaded and their icons (sitting
on component palette) use up precious memory and resources whether you
like it or not.

I have always dreamed of having Delphi IDE where in one can give some
sort of command (say for example Ctrl+T) to bring up a dialogbox of
all installed Design time and Run time VCLs (with some way of show
whether they are runtime or design time ones) from which one can select
what one wants to use.

Regards,

Yogi Yang
Marco Caspers
2008-08-07 15:59:06 UTC
Yogi Yang wrote:

<snip>
Post by Yogi Yang
Every dame component will have to be installed in the IDE before you
can use it and that is really very tiresome when developing and
testing components, etc.
The only thing you need to do is reference the package/dll and you can
use the component at runtime, no need to install it in the IDE.
Never has been the issue either and i'm aboard since turbo pascal 5 :)

<snip>

Yogi Yang
2008-08-10 09:31:08 UTC
Post by Marco Caspers
The only thing you need to do is reference the package/dll and you can
use the component at runtime, no need to install it in the IDE.
Never has been the issue either and i'm aboard since turbo pascal 5 :)
You can place is on a form visually. Can you?

Do check this feature with VS. You will be surprised!

Pete Fraser
2008-08-07 16:46:33 UTC
You don't need all components installed for a project.
With your project loaded, go to Component-Install Packages menu and uncheck
the components you don't want.
You can always add any component back at any time.
Changing projects then changes the components loaded.
To set the default components loaded for a new project, close all projects
and do the same thing.
HTH Pete
Hi!
From what I have tried in Delphi 2006 IDE I can say that we can't do what
components, etc.
Craig Stuntz [TeamB]
2008-08-07 15:57:45 UTC
One more thing: I suggested packages because they're the closest
equivalent to what Visual Studio does. But you don't have to use
packages. You can also reference the source code of the "class
library" directly from the "test application." In this case you end up
building the class library code into the test application, rather than
referencing it in another assembly.
--
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] · Vertex Systems Corp. · Columbus, OH
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz
Vincent Bergeron
2008-08-07 16:50:34 UTC
Hi!

But in that case, I cannot only compile my "class library". I must have a
project that references thoses classes. I suppose I can do the same thing
using Packages...

VB
Craig Stuntz [TeamB]
2008-08-07 16:52:59 UTC
Post by Vincent Bergeron
But in that case, I cannot only compile my "class library". I must
have a project that references thoses classes.
You would have one project group. In the group would be two projects.
One project for the class library, one project for the test console.
Just like you would do it in Visual Studio, actually, except substitute
the words "Project group" for "solution." So, yes, you can only
compile your "class library," because you can compile single projects
within a project group.
--
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] · Vertex Systems Corp. · Columbus, OH
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz
Useful articles about InterBase development:
http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/category/21.aspx
Craig Stuntz [TeamB]
2008-08-07 15:56:11 UTC
Post by Vincent Bergeron
I write my classes in the Class Library. Than I tell the Test
Application that I use the Class Library project. I can test my
classes in the console application just by adding this refecence to
the proejct. Can do the same thing with the Forms application.
I never used Delphi above Delphi 7. Can this sort of thing be done?
Is there a "Class Library" equivalent?
Yes, you can do something similar. The Delphi equivalent to a
Solution is a Project Group. The Delphi equivalent to a Class Library
is a Package. If you build your "class Library" package and your test
application with packages, you can tell it to require the "class
Library" package.