have chance to see Firebird DBX4 Driver in Delphi 2008 ?
Maziar Navahan
2008-07-30 16:36:23 UTC
Hi

i see i and over 900 other user requst in QC add codegear driver for
firebird 2.0 to delphi

have anu chance to see it in d2008?
Michael Fritz
2008-07-30 16:24:35 UTC
Post by Maziar Navahan
Hi
i see i and over 900 other user requst in QC add codegear driver for
firebird 2.0 to delphi
have anu chance to see it in d2008?
Would like to have such a driver, too, so please add me to the list ;-)
--
cu,
Michael
Ostap Bender
Michael
Leonardo M. Ramé
2008-07-30 17:09:40 UTC
It's simple, CG sells Interbase.

Leonardo M. Ramé
http://leonardorame.blogspot.com
Michael
Maziar Navahan
Michael
Farshad
2008-07-30 20:20:00 UTC
"Maziar Navahan"
Post by Maziar Navahan
is any Codegear employee accept this sin ?
A sin?!
CodeGear is a US company and they believe in separation of church and state!
<g>
Maziar Navahan
2008-07-31 04:04:03 UTC
but think is more near around human border in compare with such as m$

if no why continue with it ?
state! <g>
Craig Stuntz [TeamB]
2008-07-30 17:37:12 UTC
Post by Leonardo M. Ramé
It's simple, CG sells Interbase.
And yet they ship drivers for SQL Server, Oracle, etc.
--
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] · Vertex Systems Corp. · Columbus, OH
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz
http://qc.borland.com -- Vote for important issues
Leonardo M. Ramé
2008-07-30 17:48:07 UTC
Yes, you are right...maybe they are trying to stop the migration from IB
to FB by just delaying the provision of a DBX driver.

Anyway, have anyone tested DBX IB connector with Firebird? it should
work perfectly.

Craig Stuntz [TeamB]
2008-07-30 17:53:07 UTC
Post by Leonardo M. Ramé
Yes, you are right...maybe they are trying to stop the migration from
IB to FB by just delaying the provision of a DBX driver.
For whatever reason, InterBase sales and profits have gone up during
the time that the Firebird has been available. While there's no doubt
that people use Firebird, there is also no evidence of large migration
away from InterBase. So there's not really any "problem" to solve
there.
Post by Leonardo M. Ramé
Anyway, have anyone tested DBX IB connector with Firebird? it should
work perfectly.
IMHO, it is insane to ship production software in an unsupported
configuration when there are cheap, third-party dbExpress drivers for
Firebird already available.
Maziar Navahan
2008-07-31 04:10:27 UTC
and then pay more money for nothing
and no any source
and more risk !
and no any one in now have unicode support
and all have slowly .... (tested)
and ....
Michael Fritz
2008-07-31 12:11:30 UTC
"Craig Stuntz [TeamB]" wrote in message
Post by Leonardo M. Ramé
It's simple, CG sells Interbase.
Is this still valid? Does Borland or CodeGear sell Interbase? Didn't look
at their website though.
--
cu,
Michael
Craig Stuntz [TeamB]
2008-07-31 12:17:37 UTC
Post by Michael Fritz
Does Borland or CodeGear sell Interbase?
CodeGear
--
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] · Vertex Systems Corp. · Columbus, OH
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz
All the great TeamB service you've come to expect plus (New!)
Irish Tin Whistle tips: http://learningtowhistle.blogspot.com
Doug Eilertson
2009-10-18 20:36:41 UTC
Post by Michael Fritz
Post by Maziar Navahan
Hi
i see i and over 900 other user requst in QC add codegear driver for
firebird 2.0 to delphi
have anu chance to see it in d2008?
Would like to have such a driver, too, so please add me to the list ;-)
--
cu,
Michael
There is always ZeosLib interface which works well with Firebird 2.X. Get
the Delphi version of ZeosLib.

Markus.Humm
2008-07-30 17:50:10 UTC
Hello,

if you have a QC login just seek those requests (are under the top 10)
and vote for them.

Greetings

Markus
Maziar Navahan
2008-07-30 19:59:48 UTC
NO
two section user vote for it ...
then in total have over 1500 votes !! but down by CG (criminal )
Markus
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
2008-07-31 03:07:22 UTC
Post by Maziar Navahan
then in total have over 1500 votes !! but down by CG (criminal )
Votes are not the only measure by which something gets done. I expect a
significant factor in this case would be the availability of 3rd party
drivers for Firebird.
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
Maziar Navahan
2008-07-31 04:12:40 UTC
i reaaly don agree you

i comment in last :
what third party support the same as option of rad2007 (unicode....) ?

Dave Nottage [TeamB]
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
2008-07-31 03:43:06 UTC
Post by Maziar Navahan
what third party support the same as option of rad2007 (unicode....) ?
I don't understand what you mean there.
Post by Maziar Navahan
and then pay more money for nothing
and no any source
and more risk !
and no any one in now have unicode support
and all have slowly .... (tested)
and ....
..or there.
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
Maziar Navahan
2008-07-31 05:39:37 UTC
all third party (i chk from 3 diffrent vndor) have more problem

1.have poor speed
2. dont support unicode the same as rad2007
3. have not new feture of dbx4
4. not conain source in sale !
and many other problem ....

ok ?
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
2008-07-31 04:53:49 UTC
Post by Maziar Navahan
all third party (i chk from 3 diffrent vndor) have more problem
1.have poor speed
2. dont support unicode the same as rad2007
3. have not new feture of dbx4
4. not conain source in sale !
and many other problem ....
ok ?
I only had to look for one:

http://devart.com/dbx/overview.html

To find that at least points 2 and 3 don't apply. Whether point 1 does,
I don't know. The FAQ:

http://devart.com/dbx/faq.html

also seems to indicate that source is included. I didn't bother to look
for any more.
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
Maziar Navahan
2008-07-31 10:19:14 UTC
in first look :
nounicode / 30% slower than codegear for interbase /
no really fb2 support (for ex. returning not support)

this problems detect in 15min !
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
2008-07-31 09:31:45 UTC
Either your "looking" seems to be lacking, or they're spreading
misinformation on their website.
Post by Maziar Navahan
nounicode / 30% slower than codegear for interbase /
no really fb2 support (for ex. returning not support)
I'm wondering why Plash from their dev team would have omitted the fact
that FB 2.1 *isnt* supported in these posts: (which also highlights
that Unicode *is* supported)

http://devart.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12578
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
Maziar Navahan
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
2008-07-31 21:49:45 UTC
Post by Maziar Navahan
test : no compilemntry UNICODE_FSS support
UNICODE_FSS (an old format) has been deprecated in favour of UTF8 in
Firebird itself.

OTOH, I thought you said there was no Unicode support at all.
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
Maziar Navahan
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
Markus.Humm
2008-08-01 17:06:18 UTC
Hello,

as of BDS2006 it now has a TTrayIcon component which should at least
cover the basic needs.

Greetings

Markus
Michael Fritz
2008-07-31 12:09:16 UTC
"Dave Nottage [TeamB]" wrote in message
Post by Dave Nottage [TeamB]
I expect a
significant factor in this case would be the availability of 3rd party
drivers for Firebird.
This is also true for the new Ribbon component in Tiburon. There are at
least two solution out there and Tiburon comes with a new one.
--
cu,
Michael
Chris Rolliston
2008-07-31 14:34:15 UTC
Post by Michael Fritz
Post by Dave Nottage [TeamB]
I expect a
significant factor in this case would be the availability of 3rd
party drivers for Firebird.
This is also true for the new Ribbon component in Tiburon. There are
at least two solution out there and Tiburon comes with a new one.
Yes, but there's another factor concerning that particular issue - MS
now bundles a (bought in) ribbon control with its C++ product. While
it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, having the VCL look lamer
than MFC in one important respect would be a bit unfortunate,
especially on the C++ Builder side.
Markus.Humm
2008-08-01 17:01:42 UTC
Post by Maziar Navahan
NO
two section user vote for it ...
then in total have over 1500 votes !! but down by CG (criminal )
Hello,

that's wrong. The votes are summed up to 8xx votes on the main report as
the other is declared as duplicate of it. So that means these are not 2
entries with independant vote count but rather one parent and a child
where the one with more votes is the parent one.

Greetings

Markus
Maziar Navahan
Markus
Pieter Zijlstra
2008-08-02 21:54:19 UTC
Post by Markus.Humm
if you have a QC login just seek those requests (are under the top
10) and vote for them.
Not anymore, that changed about a week ago.

Report No: 41034 Status: Closed
Please support Firebird database with the DBExpress driver
http://qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=41034

Resolution: Deferred to Next Rel <UnKnown>
Pieter
Maziar Navahan
Pieter
Pieter Zijlstra
2008-08-03 03:01:55 UTC
Post by Maziar Navahan
Post by Pieter Zijlstra
Post by Markus.Humm
if you have a QC login just seek those requests (are under the top
10) and vote for them.
Not anymore, that changed about a week ago.
Report No: 41034 Status: Closed
Please support Firebird database with the DBExpress driver
http://qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=41034
Resolution: Deferred to Next Rel <UnKnown>
i think CG choose user relation the same as m$
These two are incomparable.
Post by Maziar Navahan
i think is not need for user then user must smother
Oh, don't worry, CG need users :) As I see it, they have a lot of users
each with their own needs, they are not unwilling to listen to these
users but have limited resources and can't make everybody happy at the
same time.

For the next release there is a big change (Unicode) and they are
probably busy trying to make this, as much as possible, painless for
the average user.

It might be that Firebird support is added, considering the high number
of votes, as an extra in one of the service packs after Tiburon is
released and the dust has settled.

@CG <hint, hint> ;-)
Pieter
Rick Carter
2008-08-03 05:19:46 UTC
Post by Pieter Zijlstra
Post by Pieter Zijlstra
Report No: 41034 Status: Closed
Please support Firebird database with the DBExpress driver
http://qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=41034
Resolution: Deferred to Next Rel <UnKnown>
It might be that Firebird support is added, considering the high number
of votes, as an extra in one of the service packs after Tiburon is
released and the dust has settled.
@CG <hint, hint> ;-)
Only likely if the rules have changed. For the last release (CodeGear
under Borland) it was made clear that service packs could contain only
bug fixes, and any new features could come only with a new release.

Hence, there was "Delphi 2007 R2" which added Blackfish SQL and a new
Query Builder. But the only customers who got the new features were either
those who delayed their purchase until R2 was out, and those who purchased
Software Assurance.

Possibly "next release" means that we'll get both 32 and 64 bit drivers
when 64-bit Delphi is released?

Moral of the story: Purchase with SA, and you'll get whatever else comes
along.

Rick Carter
***@despammed.com

--- posted by geoForum on http://delphi.newswhat.com
Wayne Niddery (TeamB)
2008-08-03 15:18:26 UTC
Post by Rick Carter
Only likely if the rules have changed. For the last release (CodeGear
under Borland) it was made clear that service packs could contain only
bug fixes, and any new features could come only with a new release.
This was due to revenue recognition issues (due to Sarbanes-Oxley law). I'm
quite certain this limitation is now gone since they are now part of a
privately-held corporation. That does not mean they *will* change this
policy, but AFAIK they at least have more flexibility again.
--
Wayne Niddery - TeamB (www.teamb.com)
Winwright, Inc. (www.winwright.ca)
Pieter Zijlstra
2008-08-03 16:32:29 UTC
Post by Rick Carter
Possibly "next release" means that we'll get both 32 and 64 bit
drivers when 64-bit Delphi is released?
Maybe
Post by Rick Carter
Moral of the story: Purchase with SA, and you'll get whatever else
comes along.
That's what I did the last time :)
--
Pieter