Delphi and C++Builder 2009 Sneak Peek Videos
Tim Del Chiaro (Embarcadero)
2008-08-05 00:15:35 UTC
The first two in a series of Tiburon sneak peek videos have been posted on
our Developer Network web site http://dn.codegear.com.

This week's videos are:
- Sneak Peek Video - What's New in the VCL in Delphi and C++Builder 2009
- Sneak Peek Video - C++Builder 2009 support for new C++0x standards

There are also links at the bottom of the page to sign up to be notified of
future videos in the series and to be notified when trial downloads are
available for the new versions.

Tim
David Erbas-White
2008-08-05 00:58:18 UTC
Post by Tim Del Chiaro (Embarcadero)
The first two in a series of Tiburon sneak peek videos have been posted on
our Developer Network web site http://dn.codegear.com.
- Sneak Peek Video - What's New in the VCL in Delphi and C++Builder 2009
- Sneak Peek Video - C++Builder 2009 support for new C++0x standards
There are also links at the bottom of the page to sign up to be notified of
future videos in the series and to be notified when trial downloads are
available for the new versions.
Tim
The new controls are great, and I really appreciate these videos/sneak
peeks.

HOWEVER, could you PLEASE take more time to proofread your demos? In
the 'TButtonedEdit' example, you misspell it as 'TButtondEdit', and it
says "both buttons reside within the edit iself" (note 'iself' should
'itself'.).

David Erbas-White
David Erbas-White
2008-08-05 01:04:25 UTC
Post by Tim Del Chiaro (Embarcadero)
The first two in a series of Tiburon sneak peek videos have been posted on
our Developer Network web site http://dn.codegear.com.
- Sneak Peek Video - What's New in the VCL in Delphi and C++Builder 2009
- Sneak Peek Video - C++Builder 2009 support for new C++0x standards
There are also links at the bottom of the page to sign up to be notified of
future videos in the series and to be notified when trial downloads are
available for the new versions.
Tim
Another note: on the C++0x video, David Dean's audio is substantially
louder than David I, and is clipping. Normalizing and/or ensuring that
the recordings aren't clipping would be helpful...

David Erbas-White
Tim Del Chiaro (Embarcadero)

David Erbas-White
David Erbas-White
2008-08-05 05:56:54 UTC
Post by Tim Del Chiaro (Embarcadero)
Thanks for both pieces of feedback.
Tim
Please don't take them the wrong way - they were meant as 'constructive
criticism', and I was trying to catch them early enough to be useful
(should you deem them necessary). I watched both in their entirety, and
found them both pertinent and well done (other than my comments), but I
really worry about first impressions such things might make, as I hope
that the Embarcadero path will really provide a re-energizing of the
entire product line.

Again, kudos on the videos, particularly on showing off the new
features, and making them short enough to be 'punchy'. I may be
'kvetching' about a thing or two, but that's because I care... <G>

David Erbas-White
Deltics
2008-08-05 09:21:14 UTC
On Aug 5, 12:15 pm, "Tim Del Chiaro \(Embarcadero\)"
 - Sneak Peek Video - What's New in the VCL in Delphi and C++Builder 2009
Overall very interesting stuff, but just one question....

What exactly is new about the PasswordChar property of a TEdit
control?

It has been there for as long as I can remember - quite possibly since
Delphi 1.0 - so either someone had a bit of a blind spot when they
compiled the list of "what's new" or there is something new and
exciting about this property that didn't come across in the demo.

Oh, I lied - there's another question....

The videos (so far at least) seem to be what were shown during the
preview webinar recently, but the ribbon control was demonstrated live
during that event. Is there a video preview in the works for the
ribbon as well?
Brandon Staggs
2008-08-05 18:38:27 UTC
Thanks Nick & Co for putting the video together.
--
Brandon Staggs
http://www.swordsearcher.com
http://www.brandonstaggs.com
Nick Hodges (Embarcadero)
2008-08-05 18:59:16 UTC
Post by Brandon Staggs
Thanks Nick & Co for putting the video together.
More are coming.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - Embarcadero
http://blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges
Tony Caduto
2008-08-05 20:50:49 UTC
Post by Nick Hodges (Embarcadero)
Post by Brandon Staggs
Thanks Nick & Co for putting the video together.
More are coming.
Nick,
I noticed that in the video the spin edit is still the old one that does
no theming at all. Everything else looks great, but then the spin
edit looks like it's from windows 2000, it wasn't even themed for XP,
let alone vista.

Later,

Tony
Nick Hodges (Embarcadero)
2008-08-05 21:25:08 UTC
Post by Tony Caduto
I noticed that in the video the spin edit is still the old one that
does no theming at all. Everything else looks great, but then the
spin edit looks like it's from windows 2000, it wasn't even themed
for XP, let alone vista.
Yeah, that probably wasn't the best choice -- it was the one from the
Samples page.
Maël Hörz
BTW is the StringGrid themed now?
Adem
2008-08-05 23:08:51 UTC
What sort of hardware was it running on?

CPU, RAM, OS etc.
Q Correll
2008-08-05 23:46:59 UTC
Adem,

| What sort of hardware was it running on?
|
| CPU, RAM, OS etc.

ROFL!

08/05/2008 16:46:54

XanaNews Version 1.18.1.11 [Leonel's & Pieter's & Q's Mods]
Adem
2008-08-06 02:01:18 UTC
Post by Adem
What sort of hardware was it running on?
CPU, RAM, OS etc.
ROFL!
I am hoping it was a laptop purchased from eBay a few years ago,
running Vista under 640 kB RAM.

Or else, it is too slow to do even a simple compilation.
Mike Vance
2008-08-06 15:22:31 UTC
Very exciting video! They keep my adrenaline up! It is wonderful how
they are improving the standard controls that come with the VCL.
More are coming.
Nick Hodges (Embarcadero)
2008-08-06 17:16:19 UTC
Post by Mike Vance
Very exciting video! They keep my adrenaline up! It is wonderful
how they are improving the standard controls that come with the VCL.
Glad you like it. That VCL video didn't even show off the Ribbon
Controls. One showing those off will be coming.
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
2008-08-05 18:33:48 UTC
Post by Tim Del Chiaro (Embarcadero)
The first two in a series of Tiburon sneak peek videos have been posted on
our Developer Network web site http://dn.codegear.com.
The videos aren't working for me :-( All I get are black screens. The
videos won't play.

Gambit
Omar Zelaya
Gambit
Adem
2008-08-05 19:19:15 UTC
Post by Omar Zelaya
It takes some time for the video to start loading...left the page
black screen, went for a drink and it was playing when i was back :)
I don't really see why Codegear does not post the video URL for
download. There is, after all, flv decoder for Media Player.

And, it is a lot more enjoyable to download and watch 58 MB FLV file
then to be subject to the whims of the browser.

Anyway, here is the link for 'Sneak Peek Video - What's New in the VCL
in Delphi and C++Builder 2009' which was what I was interested.

http://video.codegear.com/Tiburon/WhatsNewInTheVCL_English/WhatsNewInTheVCL.flv&OBT_fname=WhatsNewInTheVCL.flv

PS: Codegear, please delete this post if you don't approve of direct
link.
Omar Zelaya

link.
Adem
2008-08-05 23:07:15 UTC
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm
Richard Foersom
2008-08-06 05:36:14 UTC
Post by Omar Zelaya
It is a Free FLV decoder? if so..where can i download it? :)
You can also just play FLV files with the KMPlayer or (most FLV's) with
VLC from VideoLan.

<http://www.kmplayer.com/forums/index.php>
<http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/KMPlayer/1125962534/1>

<http://www.videolan.org/vlc/>

BTW, KMPlayer is a Delphi app.

Doei RIF
Graeme
2008-08-06 17:54:09 UTC
Post by Omar Zelaya
It is a Free FLV decoder? if so..where can i download it? :)
Guys, get with the times!!! Forget Media Player and download VLC!

Graeme.
Pieter Zijlstra
2008-08-07 01:14:06 UTC
Post by Omar Zelaya
It is a Free FLV decoder? if so..where can i download it? :)
Did you try downloading it from Intranet ?-)

If that failed, try Internet ;-)

Just use the "magic" words on www.google.com
Pieter
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
2008-08-05 23:55:27 UTC
Post by Adem
Anyway, here is the link for 'Sneak Peek Video - What's New in the
VCL in Delphi and C++Builder 2009' which was what I was interested.
That link doesn't work. I get a 404 error from the server.

Gambit
Adem
2008-08-06 01:55:51 UTC
Post by Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
That link doesn't work. I get a 404 error from the server.
I just checked. It works here. But, I assume they are using cookies or
some such thing.

In that case, download and install Orbit from here

http://www.orbitdownloader.com/index.htm

Remember to install the Firefox plug-in that is included in the install.
Restart FF.

Go to the video donwload URL

http://dn.codegear.com/article/38383

Click the video you wish to watch.

When the page opens, right click and select 'Grab Video by Orbit'. Wait
till the video starts to show up and keep an eye in the Grab++ window.

You'll see a 57+ MB FLV file. Select it, and press 'Download'

Download begins.

Now, you can close the Firefox window/tab.

HTH.
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
2008-08-06 17:33:36 UTC
Post by Adem
Remember to install the Firefox plug-in that is included in the install.
Restart FF.
I don't use FireFox.

Gambit
Brad White
2008-08-06 22:41:34 UTC
Post by Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Post by Adem
Remember to install the Firefox plug-in that is included in the install.
Restart FF.
I don't use FireFox.
Well, there's your problem.
Why didn't you say that before
and save all the trouble?

Thanks,
Brad.
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
2008-08-05 23:49:50 UTC
Post by Omar Zelaya
It takes some time for the video to start loading...left the page
black screen, went for a drink and it was playing when i was back :)
I let them sit for several hours, they still haven't started yet, and I see
no traffic from the server in a packet sniffer. They don't work.

Gambit
Wayne Niddery (TeamB)
2008-08-06 03:57:54 UTC
Post by Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
I let them sit for several hours, they still haven't started yet,
You're more patient than I thought; I would've quit after a few more
minutes. <g>

Something must be blocking it on your system. Works instantly for me.
--
Wayne Niddery - TeamB (www.teamb.com)
Winwright, Inc. (www.winwright.ca)
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
2008-08-06 17:34:28 UTC
Post by Wayne Niddery (TeamB)
Something must be blocking it on your system. Works instantly for me.
That could be. I am trying to view them through a corporate LAN. The
firewall could be blocking the streams. I'll have to try them at home
later.

Gambit
Rick Carter
2008-08-07 07:27:37 UTC
Post by Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Post by Wayne Niddery (TeamB)
Something must be blocking it on your system. Works instantly for me.
That could be. I am trying to view them through a corporate LAN. The
firewall could be blocking the streams. I'll have to try them at home
later.
Sounds likely. I know that streaming video and streaming audio are
forbidden in my workplace. Unfortunately, when I come home all I have is
dial-up, so it's frequently just not practical to watch videos "live."

Rick Carter
***@despammed.com

--- posted by geoForum on http://delphi.newswhat.com
Zlatibor Boro Urosevic
2008-08-06 13:23:25 UTC
Post by Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Post by Omar Zelaya
It takes some time for the video to start loading...left the page
black screen, went for a drink and it was playing when i was back :)
I let them sit for several hours, they still haven't started yet, and I see
no traffic from the server in a packet sniffer. They don't work.
Gambit
It might be a firefox + flash player known issue where videos stop
playing after 2-3 seconds on some XP machines (youtube and others ...).

I had the same issue, and you can fix it either by reinstalling the
flash player (uninstall first, reinstall after) or by right-clicking on
video, selecting settings from flash player pop-up menu, changing
anything there (for example changing local caching settings), closing
and re-starting your firefox, it will work then.

However it takes about 20-30 seconds before video starts and you see
David I o the screen...

No such issues in Safari or IE with flash player anyway...

Regards,
B.
Graeme
2008-08-06 17:50:39 UTC
Post by Omar Zelaya
It takes some time for the video to start loading...left the page black
screen, went for a drink and it was playing when i was back :)
Ah, so their videos are just as fast as the BDS Help files..... It makes
sense - they keep to their product tends. :-)

Graeme.
Graeme
2008-08-06 17:51:43 UTC
Post by Graeme
Post by Omar Zelaya
It takes some time for the video to start loading...left the page black
screen, went for a drink and it was playing when i was back :)
Ah, so their videos are just as fast as the BDS Help files..... It makes
sense - they keep to their product tends. :-)
I forgot to add.... and there install speed. :)

G.
Wayne Niddery (TeamB)
2008-08-05 19:14:38 UTC
Post by Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
The videos aren't working for me :-( All I get are black screens. The
videos won't play.
Give it a bit longer, you should see DavidI appear shortly.
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
2008-08-07 17:12:57 UTC
Post by Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
The videos aren't working for me :-( All I get are black screens. The
videos won't play.
I was able to view them at home just fine, so it must be an issue with my
office's firewall.

Gambit

Jolyon Smith
2008-08-05 20:53:59 UTC
In article <48979b79$***@newsgroups.borland.com>, ***@codegear.com
says...
Post by Tim Del Chiaro (Embarcadero)
- Sneak Peek Video - What's New in the VCL in Delphi and C++Builder 2009
Two questions:

1. What exactly is new about the PasswordChar feature of TEdit?

It's been there from Delphi 1.0 as far as I can recall, and if there is
anything new about it it didn't come across in the demo.

2. The ribbon control that was demo'd during the preview webinar was a
live demo iirc. Will there be a video featuring the ribbon in depth?
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
2008-08-05 21:27:33 UTC
Post by Jolyon Smith
1. What exactly is new about the PasswordChar feature of TEdit?
I'm guessing it was updated to properly support XP password dots. In
previous versions, if an edit had the ES_PASSWORD style applied, setting the
PasswordChar property prevented the native dots from appearing correctly.

Gambit
Jolyon Smith
2008-08-06 02:21:08 UTC
In article <4898c62d$***@newsgroups.borland.com>, ***@no.spam.com
says...
Post by Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Post by Jolyon Smith
1. What exactly is new about the PasswordChar feature of TEdit?
I'm guessing it was updated to properly support XP password dots. In
previous versions, if an edit had the ES_PASSWORD style applied, setting the
PasswordChar property prevented the native dots from appearing correctly.
Sounds like a bad demo then because the only point made in the demo was
that you could make the password char anything you like, and
demonstrated making it an 'X'.

No mention of dots.
John
2008-08-06 09:14:32 UTC
Whao !! seems like Delphi 5 with some basic third party VCL...

I expected more than this...maybe some Office 2007 like toolbars
Bernhard Geyer
2008-08-06 10:00:04 UTC
Post by John
I expected more than this...maybe some Office 2007 like toolbars
Office 2007 Toolbars can also be bought by some Vendors
(http://www.tmssoftware.com/site/advtoolbar.asp)
Markus.Humm
2008-08-06 18:33:22 UTC
Hello,

as already mentioned in this thread: ribbons will also be included and
demoed soon.

Greetings

Markus
Charles B
2008-08-06 11:29:21 UTC
Nice to see some more VCL enhancements coming.
A small point, what's "sneak peek" about these? After all its is codegear
itself releasing them? David I more correctly calls them "video previews".

CB
Tim
Lars Fosdal
2008-08-06 11:34:24 UTC
What is the difference between a sneak peek and a preview?
--
Lars F. http://lars.fosdal.com
Tim
Charles B
2008-08-06 12:16:36 UTC
Post by Lars Fosdal
What is the difference between a sneak peek and a preview?
http://www.answers.com/topic/sneak

HTH
CB
Lars Fosdal
2008-08-06 12:54:30 UTC
Post by Charles B
HTH
IDHM - Well, it did refer to Sneak Preview ...

"sneak peek" +preview gives 1.3 mill. hits on google, which could indicate a
trend for synonymous use of the terms.
--
Lars F. http://lars.fosdal.com
CB
Wayne Niddery (TeamB)
2008-08-06 13:11:38 UTC
Post by Charles B
http://www.answers.com/topic/sneak
"Sneak peek" is a very established and long-used term that has nothing to do
with being underhanded or cowardly. There is nothing derogatory about "sneak
peek".
Charles B
2008-08-06 13:44:01 UTC
Post by Wayne Niddery (TeamB)
Post by Charles B
http://www.answers.com/topic/sneak
"Sneak peek" is a very established and long-used term that has nothing to
do with being underhanded or cowardly. There is nothing derogatory about
"sneak peek".
Perhaps it is an American idiom.
Being from the UK I usually use it when someone sees something they're not
supposed to yet.

CB
Andy Syms
2008-08-06 13:56:07 UTC
Post by Charles B
Perhaps it is an American idiom.
Being from the UK I usually use it when someone sees something
they're not supposed to yet.
Also being from the UK, I agree with Wayne...

... but I'll let you off since you are in that cold wet place north of
Hadrian's wall. :-)
--
Andy Syms
Technosoft Systems Ltd
Andy Syms
2008-08-07 12:03:20 UTC
Gee thanks, but I spent a week in a cold wet place south of Hadrian's
wall this summer!
What summer?
--
Andy Syms
Technosoft Systems Ltd
Charles B

CB
Brad White
2008-08-06 22:45:46 UTC
Post by Tim Del Chiaro (Embarcadero)
and to be notified when trial downloads are
available for the new versions.
Woohoo!

That sounds promising.

Thanks,