Tiburon vs Tiburón
Graeme Geldenhuys
2008-08-04 11:00:08 UTC

Just curious... Was the name Tiburón chosen on purpose to denote Unicode
support?

Also: How many native English speaking developers can actually type the
word Tiburón without the Alt+<number> process? ;-)

Hint: Switch to Programmer Dvorak layout and you have no troubles at all
with any accented characters. WinKey+'+o = ó

Regards,
- Graeme -

fpGUI - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/
unknown
2008-08-04 11:10:38 UTC
Post by Graeme Geldenhuys
Hint: Switch to Programmer Dvorak layout and you have no troubles at
all with any accented characters. WinKey+'+o = ó
Ór júst gêt a deçent Belgían keýboard ând thê wórld îs át
yôûr féèt.

Paul Scott
2008-08-04 11:32:56 UTC
Post by unknown
Post by Graeme Geldenhuys
Hint: Switch to Programmer Dvorak layout and you have no troubles at
all with any accented characters. WinKey+'+o = ó
Ór júst gêt a deçent Belgían keýboard ând thê wórld îs át
yôûr féèt.
But I find it much easier to type with my hands :)
--
Paul Scott
Information Management Systems
Macclesfield, UK.
unknown
2008-08-04 11:35:07 UTC
Post by Paul Scott
But I find it much easier to type with my hands :)
Thât's sõóò ýêstèrdày!

Graeme Geldenhuys
2008-08-04 11:47:58 UTC
Post by unknown
Post by Graeme Geldenhuys
Hint: Switch to Programmer Dvorak layout and you have no troubles at
all with any accented characters. WinKey+'+o = ó
Ór júst gêt a deçent Belgían keýboard ând thê wórld îs át
yôûr féèt.
Góòd Ôñê! ☺ But I'm håppy with my Programmer Dvorak ⌨ layout thanks. ;-)

I forgot the link in my previous post... I switched 3 years ago to P.
Dvarak, after working on qwerty for 15+ years. Dvorak is awesome! But
now I'm drifting off-topic again.
http://www.kaufmann.no/roland/dvorak/

unknown
2008-08-04 12:34:53 UTC
Post by Graeme Geldenhuys
http://www.kaufmann.no/roland/dvorak/
I like the digit ordering on top: 7 5 3 1 9 0 2 4 6 8

What was the lad drinking?! ;)

Graeme Geldenhuys
2008-08-04 12:41:40 UTC
Post by unknown
Post by Graeme Geldenhuys
http://www.kaufmann.no/roland/dvorak/
I like the digit ordering on top: 7 5 3 1 9 0 2 4 6 8
What was the lad drinking?! ;)
That actually works pretty good - the most popular numbers get typed
with the strongest fingers (index and middle fingers). Plus to type the
digits you have to use Shift. By default you can type &[{}(=*)+]!
without having to press shift. Numbers are the minority in code -
letters and symbols appear more often. Hence it Programmer Dvorak and
not just Dvorak. :)

Graeme Geldenhuys
2008-08-04 12:12:08 UTC
Post by unknown
Post by Graeme Geldenhuys
Hint: Switch to Programmer Dvorak layout and you have no troubles at
all with any accented characters. WinKey+'+o = ó
Ór júst gêt a deçent Belgían keýboard ând thê wórld îs át
yôûr féèt.
Unicode is quite fun. :-) When I implemented support in my GUI Toolkit,
I created a Unicode Chess game. Using a StringGrid and Unicode
characters (no bitmaps).

I tried to attached a screenshot, but this newsgroup doesn't support
attachments. So try the following....

unknown
2008-08-04 12:35:43 UTC
Post by Graeme Geldenhuys
So try the following....
http://opensoft.homeip.net/~graemeg/Screenshot-fpGUI_Unicode_Chess.png
I tried it and it was excellent. Thank you. ;)

Richard Foersom
2008-08-05 06:41:12 UTC
Post by unknown
Ór júst gêt a deçent Belgían keýboard ând thê wórld îs át
yôûr féèt.
I do not like these Belgium/French keyboards (AZERTY) because Q and A,
W and Z are swapped and M is moved. For the same reason I do not like
the German layout (QWERTZ) because Z and Y are swapped.

In Luxembourg there is big mix of languages used, but mainly: French,
German and English. This gives some problem with keyboards. Swiss
keyboards a combination of German keyboard with French letters is
sometimes used.

At work I use an English keyboard, I prefer the basic QWERTY layout.
When writing FR/DE/DA... special letters I make use of the AllChars
utility. Very handy for writing all these Western European letters on
any keyboard. Thanks goes to Rudy V. for mentioning that utility years
ago.

<http://allchars.zwolnet.com/>

Doei RIF
Anders Isaksson
2008-08-05 07:09:59 UTC
Post by Richard Foersom
At work I use an English keyboard, I prefer the basic QWERTY layout.
When writing FR/DE/DA... special letters I make use of the AllChars
utility.
A Swedish keyboard is quite ok for many European languages.It has 'dead keys'
on ´ ` ¨ ^ (apostrophe acute and grave, trema and hat), which makes it
possible to compose quite a lot of characters with only two key presses. For
more esoteric characters, the Alt+Numpad seqences makes it *possible* to
write anything, although it's difficult to remember the codes.

It's a disaster for programming, though - especially in C, but also Pascal -
as both the angular and curly brackets, '@', '$' and '|' are on an
AltGr+<some key> combination (the third function of those keys), and most of
the non-alphanumeric keys are not at the same place as on the English
keyboard.

:-(
--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD: http://web.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm
Gallery: http://web.telia.com/~u16122508/gallery/index.htm
Graeme Geldenhuys
2008-08-05 08:47:45 UTC
Post by Anders Isaksson
A Swedish keyboard is quite ok for many European languages.It has 'dead keys'
on ´ ` ¨ ^ (apostrophe acute and grave, trema and hat), which makes it
possible to compose quite a lot of characters with only two key presses.
A new revision of the Programmer Dvorak (just installed it yesterday)
also does this now. The ¨ and ^ and ` characters are much easier to type
now. The Afrikaans language uses them a lot. Plus the new revision has
a Hex value feature on the numeric keypad. Very cool! :-) Spreadsheet
uses will love the new numeric keypad - type any formula with brackets
etc and never leave the numpad keys.
Post by Anders Isaksson
It's a disaster for programming, though - especially in C, but also Pascal -
Those are all one key presses - not even Shift is required.
Post by Anders Isaksson
AltGr+<some key> combination (the third function of those keys), and most of
the non-alphanumeric keys are not at the same place as on the English
keyboard.
Maybe you should try Programmer Dvorak. Make no mistake, it's quite a
change to switch from Qwerty to Dvorak. Because you know touch typing,
you learn Dvorak a lot faster than you learned Qwerty. Plus my typing
speed increased drastically (from 55wps to 85wps) and typing fatigue has
reduced a lot. It's amazing how much you can type using only the home
row. I've used Qwerty for 15+ years - Programmer Dvorak for the last 3
years. Programmer Dvorak is totally awesome.

Richard Foersom
2008-08-05 21:20:42 UTC
Post by Graeme Geldenhuys
Maybe you should try Programmer Dvorak. Make no mistake,
I have known Dvorak keyboards for a long time, but never dared to
install one - would take too long to get re-started typing.

Perhaps I will try in a future weekend.

Doei RIF
Graeme Geldenhuys
2008-08-06 10:03:32 UTC
Post by Richard Foersom
Post by Graeme Geldenhuys
Maybe you should try Programmer Dvorak. Make no mistake,
I have known Dvorak keyboards for a long time, but never dared to
install one - would take too long to get re-started typing.
Perhaps I will try in a future weekend.
I use a cheapish keyboard - I like the feel of the keys. I simply popped
off the keycaps and rearranged them (no need to buy a dedicated Dvorak
keyboard). I only done this at work though. My keyboard at home is a
Natural Keyboard so the keycaps have different shapes and thus couldn't
rearrange them - but I really have no need either, because I touch type
anyway.

I switch to Dvorak over a weekend. Every now and again I typed a few
more lessons. By Monday I could type ok, but obviously not at full
speed. In a week, things have improved drastically. Like I said, if
you touch typed before it goes much quicker the second time round. :)

Lars Fosdal
2008-08-06 10:41:22 UTC
Post by Richard Foersom
Post by Graeme Geldenhuys
Maybe you should try Programmer Dvorak. Make no mistake,
I have known Dvorak keyboards for a long time, but never dared to
install one - would take too long to get re-started typing.
I'm more worried about going Dvorak and then becoming a fumbling fool
whenever I am on a QWERTY keyboard. I could ofcourse carry a Dvorak in my
backpack wherever I go...
Lars F. http://lars.fosdal.com
Richard Foersom
2008-08-05 21:16:56 UTC
Post by Anders Isaksson
A Swedish keyboard is quite ok for many European languages.It has
'dead keys' on ´ ` ¨ ^ (apostrophe acute and grave, trema and hat),
Indeed, just like the Danish keyboard I use at home. ;-)

Hejsan RIF
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
2008-08-04 11:43:21 UTC
Post by Graeme Geldenhuys
Hi,
Just curious... Was the name Tiburón chosen on purpose to denote
Unicode support?
It would not surprise me if it were the case, indeed. But note that
that is just a project name, and probably not the name of the final
product.

Typing ó is no problem on most European keyboards. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] http://www.teamb.com

"Mr. Wagner has beautiful moments but bad quarters of an hour."
- Gioacchino Rossini (1792-1868)
Graeme Geldenhuys
2008-08-04 11:52:47 UTC
Post by Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
But note that
that is just a project name, and probably not the name of the final
product.
I knew that much... though Kylix was an exception. Linux has to be
different!
Post by Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
Typing ó is no problem on most European keyboards. <g>
Yes, but Americans think they ARE the world. To them the globe doesn't
have any other countries. <...he runs and hides...> ;-)

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
2008-08-04 11:57:51 UTC
Post by Graeme Geldenhuys
Post by Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
But note that
that is just a project name, and probably not the name of the final
product.
I knew that much... though Kylix was an exception. Linux has to be
different!
AFAIK, people had grown so fond of the project name that it was chosen
as the product name too. AFAIK, that is also how Delphi got its name.
Post by Graeme Geldenhuys
Post by Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
Typing ó is no problem on most European keyboards. <g>
Yes, but Americans think they ARE the world.
Their problem. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] http://www.teamb.com

"You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking
five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't
know where she is!" -- Ellen DeGeneres.
Ed Dressel
2008-08-04 16:54:38 UTC
Post by Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
AFAIK, people had grown so fond of the project name that it was chosen
as the product name too. AFAIK, that is also how Delphi got its name.
yes, another marketing blunder by Borland--dropping the Turbo Pascal name.
Such as shame. (But what is Delphi anyways?<sigh>)
Maël Hörz
2008-08-04 17:25:50 UTC
Post by Ed Dressel
yes, another marketing blunder by Borland--dropping the Turbo Pascal name.
Such as shame. (But what is Delphi anyways?<sigh>)
I don't think so. Delphi is quite well known. Only when you mention
Pascal you get a strange look. Most people think it is still the same
language as in the old times. How much worse would it be if it was
called Turbo Pascal X?

Also Delphi is quite different from Turbo Pascal and IMO much better,
different enough that a new name was appropriate. "App Builder" would
have been a bad name, very good decision to call it Delphi instead.
Graeme Geldenhuys
2008-08-05 06:47:11 UTC
Post by Maël Hörz
I don't think so. Delphi is quite well known. Only when you mention
Pascal you get a strange look. Most people think it is still the same
language as in the old times.
I hope you then correct them so they don't think that any more.
Post by Maël Hörz
Also Delphi is quite different from Turbo Pascal and IMO much better,
I wouldn't say 'quite different'. I would rather say it evolved (I'm
talking TP6 with Objects or TP7 here). The old Turbo Pascal framework
(whatever it was called) is similar to the VCL. Yes the one was for DOS
and the other for Windows, but they are clearly related. I was
actually surprised by this when I paged through my TP manuals the other
day. :)

And as all good software should be, it is expected that the new software
is better than the old (though Microsoft still struggles with that idea
<wink>). Come to think of it, Borland too for a while... ;-)

Maël Hörz
2008-08-05 12:02:18 UTC
Post by Graeme Geldenhuys
Post by Maël Hörz
I don't think so. Delphi is quite well known. Only when you mention
Pascal you get a strange look. Most people think it is still the same
language as in the old times.
I hope you then correct them so they don't think that any more.
Sure I do, if I can influence what they think is another question.
Post by Graeme Geldenhuys
Post by Maël Hörz
Also Delphi is quite different from Turbo Pascal and IMO much better,
I wouldn't say 'quite different'. I would rather say it evolved (I'm
talking TP6 with Objects or TP7 here). The old Turbo Pascal framework
TP for Windows was awful, Delphi was RAD, and that was close to
revolutionary.
Wayne Niddery (TeamB)
2008-08-05 18:25:53 UTC
Post by Maël Hörz
TP for Windows was awful, Delphi was RAD, and that was close to
revolutionary.
Compared to Delphi, the framework in TPW certainly pales, but calling it
horrible is rather unfair. At the time the OWL framework represented a
*huge* step forward in programming for Windows - like Delphi it had classes
for forms and dialogs and the various controls and made working with these a
LOT easier than working *purely* with the Windows API.

There was even visual design of dialog forms, but there was no built-in
linking between the dialog (and other) resources and the code - control ids
had to be assigned and linked up in code manually.

To be effective, one still had to learn quite a bit about the Windows API,
but all the same it made one much more productive. I would say even OWL was
*far* ahead of MFC.

I wrote my first two professional Windows apps using TPW and due to my
knowledge of both the classes there and the Windows API I gained, the
transition to Delphi was rather easy and pleasant.
--
Wayne Niddery - TeamB (www.teamb.com)
Winwright, Inc. (www.winwright.ca)
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
2008-08-05 18:34:04 UTC
Post by Wayne Niddery (TeamB)
Post by Maël Hörz
TP for Windows was awful, Delphi was RAD, and that was close to
revolutionary.
Compared to Delphi, the framework in TPW certainly pales, but calling
it horrible is rather unfair. At the time the OWL framework
represented a huge step forward in programming for Windows - like
Delphi it had classes for forms and dialogs and the various controls
and made working with these a LOT easier than working purely with the
Windows API.
I fully agree. My first Windows programs used OWL, and while it was
more work than RAD, it did a lot of the tiny and ugly things you had to
do yourself when using plain API programming. It was, together with
Turbo Vision, a true precursor of the VCL.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] http://www.teamb.com

"You have a cough? Go home tonight, eat a whole box of Ex-Lax
-- tomorrow you'll be afraid to cough." -- Pearl Williams.
Maël Hörz
2008-08-05 19:20:26 UTC
I used TP in the DOS days. But when I saw VB I switched because it was
the first environment to allow easy development of a GUI, which I think
is pretty important. And BTW, I am in no way ashamed of having used it.
VB pioneered RAD and encouraged event-driven programming at the time. I
think many people under-value VB for these achievements. The major issue
was that it didn't really evolve and was quite limiting if you weren't
satisfied with its default behavior.

What I liked a lot about Delphi compared to VB was the cleaner and more
powerful language. Also Delphi allowed to dig only as deep as you
needed, so you wouldn't have to understand much of the framework before
you used it (unlike TP for Windows).

This is the true power of Delphi IMO, you can explore one domain after
the other without having to be proficient in all of them before doing
something useful. Having a simple program with a window immediately
runnable is far less intimidating. It allowed me to gradually learn most
of the Windows API (just too big to know it in its entirety). Being able
to make your own components was also a big motivation. Furthermore
Delphi made it incredibly intuitive to learn OOP.

I still wonder why comparable C++ tools (except of C++ Builder) took so
long to appear (arguably MS VC++ framework MFC is still in the stone
age, GUI-wise). I think that initially VB was intended to use C++ by its
creator but MS wanted Basic as a language.

Anyway, I didn't use OWL very long as TPW didn't really appeal to me.
Before using Delphi, I occasionally looked at the frameworks of TP for
DOS, but they weren't exactly easy to use (I had just started
programming and was about 12-13).

I think Delphi is really the outcome of a lesson learned what went wrong
with TPW. It was truly inspiring and innovative at its time and usable
even if you weren't a long-time professional. Like some C# features
today (but I still prefer Delphi because of its native GUI). It kept you
interested on learning more and more, most of it went intuitively, no
book required, progress was fast and it was truly powerful, enjoyable
and way ahead of the competition. And that was IMO key to attract users.
Lars Fosdal
2008-08-06 11:01:51 UTC
Post by Wayne Niddery (TeamB)
Post by Maël Hörz
TP for Windows was awful, Delphi was RAD, and that was close to
revolutionary.
Compared to Delphi, the framework in TPW certainly pales, but calling it
horrible is rather unfair.
[deletia]
Post by Wayne Niddery (TeamB)
I wrote my first two professional Windows apps using TPW and due to my
knowledge of both the classes there and the Windows API I gained, the
transition to Delphi was rather easy and pleasant.
I also wrote my first Windows app in TPW1.0 and 1.5 - 70k lines of OWL code.
Delphi 1 and VCL was a slap in the face at the time. So much code had to be
tossed away and rewritten.

After years of Turbo Pascal with no syntax highlighting, I had developed a
habit of CAPITALIZING reserved words. Boy, did I have to work long and hard
to unlearn that habit... :)

The visual form designer made resource files, which was handy for
handtweaking.

Some excerpts from ancient code for effect:

--<snip>-- dlg.rc --
DLG_ABOUT DIALOG 23, 27, 143, 96
STYLE DS_MODALFRAME | WS_POPUP | WS_CAPTION | WS_SYSMENU
CLASS "BorDlg"
CAPTION "About"
FONT 10, "Arial"
BEGIN
CONTROL "Button", 1, "BorBtn", 0 | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_TABSTOP, 55,
72, 32, 20
CONTROL "Insert version here", 102, "STATIC", SS_CENTER | WS_CHILD |
WS_VISIBLE | WS_BORDER, 7, 40, 129, 10
ICON "APP_ICON", 101, 63, 20, 16, 16, WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE
CTEXT "Insert name here", 100, 7, 8, 127, 9
CONTROL "Copyright © 1993 ", 103, "STATIC", SS_CENTER | WS_CHILD |
WS_VISIBLE | WS_GROUP, 7, 53, 128, 10
CONTROL "", -1, "BorShade", BSS_GROUP | BSS_LEFT | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE,
4, 4, 135, 60
CONTROL "", -1, "BorShade", 2 | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE, 0, 68, 144, 4
END

--<snip>-- dlg.pas --
UNIT dlg;
INTERFACE
USES
Strings, WinTypes, WinProcs, Objects, oDialogs, oWindows, BWCC;

TYPE
pAboutDlg = ^AboutDlg;
AboutDlg = OBJECT(TCenteredDialog)
T_SB,
V_SB : pStatic;
Icon : pIcon;
CONSTRUCTOR Init(aParent:pWindowsObject);
DESTRUCTOR Done; VIRTUAL;
PROCEDURE SetupWindow; VIRTUAL;
END;

IMPLEMENTATION

CONSTRUCTOR AboutDlg.Init(aParent:PWindowsObject);
BEGIN
Inherited Init(aParent, 'DLG_ABOUT');
New(T_SB, InitResource(@Self, 100, 40));
New(Icon, InitResource(@Self, 101, GetMainIcon));
New(V_SB, InitResource(@Self, 102, 40));
END;

DESTRUCTOR AboutDlg.Done;
BEGIN
Dispose(V_SB, Done);
Dispose(Icon, Done);
Dispose(T_SB, Done);
Inherited Done;
END;

PROCEDURE AboutDlg.SetupWindow;
BEGIN
Inherited SetupWindow;
T_SB^.SetText(Config^.FileDescription);
V_SB^.SetText(Config^.ProductVersion);
END;

END.
--<snip>--
Lars F. http://lars.fosdal.com
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
2008-08-05 11:48:00 UTC
Post by Graeme Geldenhuys
Post by Maël Hörz
I don't think so. Delphi is quite well known. Only when you mention
Pascal you get a strange look. Most people think it is still the
same language as in the old times.
I hope you then correct them so they don't think that any more.
Useless. You'll sound like a VB user defending Basic. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] http://www.teamb.com

"He managed to stupid himself right into the White House."
-- Charles Appel about George W. Bush
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
2008-08-05 11:45:49 UTC
Post by Ed Dressel
Post by Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
AFAIK, people had grown so fond of the project name that it was
chosen as the product name too. AFAIK, that is also how Delphi got
its name.
yes, another marketing blunder by Borland--dropping the Turbo Pascal name.
Not IMO. The name Pascal has never been very popular. I has been seen,
and is still seen and ridiculed, as a teaching language, by many.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] http://www.teamb.com

"The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose
begins." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes (1841-1935)
Maël Hörz
2008-08-05 12:07:09 UTC
Post by Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
Post by Ed Dressel
Post by Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
AFAIK, people had grown so fond of the project name that it was
chosen as the product name too. AFAIK, that is also how Delphi got
its name.
yes, another marketing blunder by Borland--dropping the Turbo Pascal name.
Not IMO. The name Pascal has never been very popular. I has been seen,
and is still seen and ridiculed, as a teaching language, by many.
The real "tragedy" is that many people in academia actually prefer it to
C/C++, for example because it is easier to do static analysis. But they
have switched to C/C++ nevertheless because that is what the industry wants.
Often they end up with subsets of C/C++ because if you consider the full
language there are many things you just cannot predict (preprocessor,
non-strict types, virtual methods (applies to Pascal too)) or are to
expensive (runtime and cost) to implement.
Graeme Geldenhuys
2008-08-04 11:57:30 UTC
Post by Graeme Geldenhuys
Just curious... Was the name Tiburón chosen on purpose to denote
Unicode support?
By the way, your newsreader sucks. It couldn't handle the ó in the
Subject line. It chopped the rest off! :-(

I guess we will be seeing more such issues in the months to come!

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
2008-08-04 12:10:46 UTC
Post by Graeme Geldenhuys
Post by Graeme Geldenhuys
Just curious... Was the name Tiburón chosen on purpose to denote
Unicode support?
By the way, your newsreader sucks. It couldn't handle the ó in the
Subject line.
Probably it had problems with the format produced by Thunderbird:

Tiburon vs =?UTF-8?B?VGlidXLDs24=?=
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] http://www.teamb.com

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the
fight in the dog." -- Mark Twain (1835-1910)
Graeme Geldenhuys
2008-08-04 12:20:07 UTC
Post by Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
Tiburon vs =?UTF-8?B?VGlidXLDs24=?=
I use Thunderbird (and UTF-8 as default encoding), but I even get that
with some posts on this sever, but it happens very seldom. I got it a
few days ago with a posting in the delphi.oodesign newsgroup.

Dave Nottage [TeamB]
2008-08-04 12:22:48 UTC
I even get that with some posts on this sever
Seems like it drops the odd "r", too <g>
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
Graeme Geldenhuys
2008-08-04 12:29:48 UTC
Post by Dave Nottage [TeamB]
I even get that with some posts on this sever
Seems like it drops the odd "r", too <g>
It's called "The phenomenal power of the human mind". Spelling is
optional. I'll prove it.... :-)

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid! Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at
Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a
wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be
in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed
it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey
lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh, and I
awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt.

Martin Schreiber
2008-08-04 13:02:44 UTC
Post by Graeme Geldenhuys
It's called "The phenomenal power of the human mind". Spelling is
optional. I'll prove it.... :-)
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid! Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at
Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a
wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be
in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed
it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey
lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh, and I
awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt.
One point for MSEgui coding style. ;-)

Martin
unknown
2008-08-04 13:27:56 UTC
Post by Graeme Geldenhuys
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid! Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at
Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a
wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer
be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll
raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not
raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?
Yaeh, and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt.
How long have you been using that Dvorak thingie again...?

DJSox
2008-08-04 14:34:19 UTC
Post by Graeme Geldenhuys
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid! Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at
Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a
wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be
in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed
it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey
lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh, and I
awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt.
This occurs only after the brain has been trained to recognize properly
spelled words. Which is why the "whole" language approach to teaching
reading has been so disappointing.

Dan
Wayne Niddery (TeamB)
2008-08-04 14:45:23 UTC
Post by DJSox
This occurs only after the brain has been trained to recognize properly
spelled words. Which is why the "whole" language approach to teaching
reading has been so disappointing.
Bingo. This is where educators went completely off the rails, they
recognized *as adults already well able to read* that they read in *words*
(and even groups of words) rather than sounding out letters - forgetting
their own experience in first learning to read, and then foisted
"whole-word" techniques on children, effectively *preventing* them from
learning to read correctly.

"Whole word" is a natural progression, but it *cannot* be a starting point
and in fact cannot be taught - it is a consequence of practice and
experience. Attempting such a short-cut guarantees illiteracy.
Wayne Niddery (TeamB)
2008-08-04 14:27:07 UTC
Post by Graeme Geldenhuys
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid! Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at
Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod
are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the
rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it
wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey
lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh, and I awlyas
thought slpeling was ipmorantt.
There is an additional important element that contributes to being able to
read the above: context. Once the subject of the paragraph is established
(and in this case that is immediately established by the deliberate letter
scrambling), the brain is also able to do a lot of predictive work on what
words are likely to follow next throughout the paragraph, and so can more
quickly recognize each following word if it falls within that predicted set.

If a scrambling happens to cause resemblence to another actual word,
especially any that start and end with the same letters, that will cause a
stall to take place (context again comes to the rescue but takes more
effort). Other little things can throw you off too, for example "cdnuolt" is
really two words contracted, but you omitted the apostrophe.

It's definitely quite amazing what our brains can do nonetheless, but I
reject the notion that this means spelling doesn't matter. It most
definitely still does. While most can read your paragraph ok, it definitely
takes extra effort that one should be able to sense in the form of needing
to apply extra focus to the reading task. IOW, it still *interferes* with
reading; the brain has to spend more effort in deciphering the words, which
can impede and slow down comprehension.

Imagine reading a technical book trying to learn something new (thus context
and predictive ability help much less) and having to slog through such
scrambled words. You would become mentally tired *very* quickly due to
having to work much harder at both reading and comprehending the material.
Graeme Geldenhuys
2008-08-04 13:08:40 UTC
Post by Dave Nottage [TeamB]
I even get that with some posts on this sever
Seems like it drops the odd "r", too <g>
XanaNews clearly has an issue with Unicode. Your version dropped the ó
in the Subject line. <g>

Leonel
2008-08-04 18:08:00 UTC
Post by Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
=?UTF-8?B?VGlidXLDs24=?=
That encoding is correct, and yeah, XanaNews has problems with it.
Leonel
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
2008-08-05 16:37:21 UTC
Post by Leonel
Post by Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
=?UTF-8?B?VGlidXLDs24=?=
That encoding is correct, and yeah, XanaNews has problems with it.
OK. For the moment, at least. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] http://www.teamb.com

"It is better to be quotable than to be honest." -- Tom Stoppard
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
2008-08-05 17:17:57 UTC
Post by Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
OK. For the moment, at least. <g>
Indeed. Thanks to Pieter Zijlstra, not anymore. <g>
Is .11c downloadable, somewhere?
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] http://www.teamb.com

"What do you take me for, an idiot?"
-- General Charles de Gaulle (1890-1970), when a journalist
asked him if he was happy
Leonel
2008-08-05 18:12:25 UTC
Post by Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
Is .11c downloadable, somewhere?
Only source from subversion. I don't think Pieter has checked in his
fix yet, though.
Leonel
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
2008-08-05 18:22:52 UTC
Post by Leonel
Post by Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
Is .11c downloadable, somewhere?
Only source from subversion. I don't think Pieter has checked in his
fix yet, though.
Darn. How can we, common users, get at it?
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] http://www.teamb.com

"So I was in my car, and I was driving along, and my boss rang up
and he said 'You've been promoted'. And I swerved.
And then he rang up a second time and said 'You've been promoted
again'. And I swerved again.
He rang up a third time and said 'You're managing director.'
And I went into a tree.
And a policeman came up and said 'What happened to you?'
And I Said 'I careered off the road.'" -- Tommy Cooper
Leonel
2008-08-05 19:04:16 UTC
Post by Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
Darn. How can we, common users, get at it?
Pull from SVN, open project group in D2007, Project/Build All Projects.
:)

Or wait till I find some free time to do that and upload a copy
somewhere.
Leonel
Pieter Zijlstra
2008-08-05 20:59:16 UTC
Post by Leonel
Post by Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
Is .11c downloadable, somewhere?
Only source from subversion. I don't think Pieter has checked in his
fix yet, though.
Just did, btw this fix only concerns Subject lines in the message
treeview, post-form and some "status" lines.
The "raw" text header in the message preview is unaffected and still
shows the =?UTF-8?B?VGlidXLDs24=?= "garbage".
Pieter
Leonel
2008-08-05 21:17:47 UTC
Post by Pieter Zijlstra
The "raw" text header in the message preview is unaffected and still
shows the =?UTF-8?B?VGlidXLDs24=?= "garbage".
Colin said, a long time ago, that's "As Designed". Raw headers are
undecoded.
Leonel
Q Correll
2008-08-05 22:27:42 UTC
Leonel,

| Colin said, a long time ago, that's "As Designed". Raw headers are
| undecoded.

And I think that's probably OK. "Raw" means as received, I think.
Perhaps Pieter would like to add "Decoded" to the Right-click Headers
display list?

08/05/2008 15:23:34

XanaNews Version 1.18.1.11 [Leonel's & Pieter's & Q's Mods]
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
2008-08-05 18:43:45 UTC
Rudy,
Post by Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
Is .11c downloadable, somewhere?
Leonel calls it .11 build 44.
It's the current version at the TechTips site.
http://svn.xananews.techtips.com.br/trunk/
Thanks! I must have missed a few things when I was on vacation. Hmmm...
no binary to install yet?
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] http://www.teamb.com

"I'm in shape. Round is a shape." -- George Carlin
Q Correll
2008-08-05 18:49:41 UTC
Rudy,

| Hmmm... no binary to install yet?

You can try:

http://xananews.techtips.com.br/files/XanaNews-1.18.1.11.zip

I didn't check it since I was looking at some possible mods and wanted to
build from the source.

08/05/2008 11:48:42

XanaNews Version 1.18.1.11 [Leonel's & Pieter's & Q's Mods]
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
2008-08-05 18:58:11 UTC
Post by Q Correll
Rudy,
Post by Q Correll
Hmmm... no binary to install yet?
http://xananews.techtips.com.br/files/XanaNews-1.18.1.11.zip
I didn't check it since I was looking at some possible mods and
wanted to build from the source.
Thanks again!
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] http://www.teamb.com

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
-- Jason Kidd, upon his drafting to the Dallas Mavericks
Q Correll
2008-08-05 18:40:17 UTC
Rudy,

| Is .11c downloadable, somewhere?

Leonel calls it .11 build 44.

It's the current version at the TechTips site.

http://svn.xananews.techtips.com.br/trunk/

08/05/2008 11:36:03

XanaNews Version 1.18.1.11 [Leonel's & Pieter's & Q's Mods]
Pieter Zijlstra
2008-08-05 21:02:45 UTC
Rudy,
Post by Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
Is .11c downloadable, somewhere?
Leonel calls it .11 build 44.
No, that was 11b ;-)

11c is 45, SVN has just been updated, here...
Pieter
Q Correll
2008-08-05 21:20:27 UTC
Pieter,

| No, that was 11b ;-)
|
| 11c is 45, SVN has just been updated, here...

oh ... I can't keep up. ;-)

Thanks. I just refreshed. Now,... if I can only get Leonel fix the
message frame fonts to my liking. <g>

08/05/2008 14:16:45

XanaNews Version 1.18.1.11 [Leonel's & Pieter's & Q's Mods]
Leonel
2008-08-05 21:35:14 UTC
Leonel calls it .11 build 44.
rev. 44 would be more appropriate. :)
Leonel
Q Correll
2008-08-05 22:39:33 UTC
Leonel,

| | Leonel calls it .11 build 44.
|
| rev. 44 would be more appropriate. :)

OoooKaaayyyy... <g>

And Pieter says it was actually rev. 45. <g>

BTW,... I have encountered a problem or two with the latest rev(s):

If I have a reply editor open, then go someplace else to check something
for instance, and then return to the editor, open it and finish composing
and try to send, I often have difficulty getting it to "go." I use a
keyboard short-cut of Ctrl-O for Send Outbasket. and end up having to use
the Right-click Send Outbasket option in the Queued Requests window. Then
when it is finally sent if I try to close XN I get a message that there is
an open editor and do I want to discard the contents. However, I have not
been able to find an open edit window anyplace. It has only started to
happen since I built this version with Pieter's edit window minimize when
another window is focused (Old behavior which I requested be restored.).

08/05/2008 15:30:15

XanaNews Version 1.18.1.11 [Leonel's & Pieter's & Q's Mods]
Leonel
<who hasn't rebuild with the fix yet>
Tom Corey
2008-08-04 14:46:04 UTC
Post by Graeme Geldenhuys
By the way, your newsreader sucks.
Americans may think we are the whole world, but it would seem that we
aren't the only ones who are pointlessly rude.
Graeme Geldenhuys
2008-08-04 15:05:15 UTC
Post by Tom Corey
Americans may think we are the whole world, but it would seem that we
aren't the only ones who are pointlessly rude.
It was not my intention to portray rudeness. Apologies if it came across
that way. ;-)

ozbear
2008-08-06 06:35:25 UTC
On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 13:43:21 +0200, "Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]"
Hi,
Just curious... Was the name Tiburón chosen on purpose to denote
Unicode support?
<snip>
Typing ó is no problem on most European keyboards. <g>
<snip>

I use Free Agent as my newsreader and can see all the characters
properly in the above quoted material, e.g., the tilde over the A and
the superscript 3 *as* a superscript.
However, what it is that causes some posts to display =3D all over the
place, usually (?) when a single equals sign was typed in? It seems
to be more prevalent in other forums than Borland's. Is it a
function of the server?

Oz
--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Mr. G
2008-08-04 14:57:17 UTC
for the correct pronunciation of the accented characters listen to this
half French half Spanish.
Ed Dressel
2008-08-04 22:42:40 UTC
http://youtu.be/0EBfjFiNrak half French half Spanish.
is there a YouTube for pronouncing 'Delphi' ?<g>
Lee Jenkins
2008-08-05 00:08:55 UTC
Post by Ed Dressel
Post by Mr. G
for the correct pronunciation of the accented characters listen to this
http://youtu.be/0EBfjFiNrak half French half Spanish.
is there a YouTube for pronouncing 'Delphi' ?<g>
I could be wrong, but from listening to various webcasts, etc, it seems that
Americans like to say delphi like Delpheye whilst our friends abroad seem to
prefer Delphee.

Am I wrong?

--
Warm Regards,

Lee
Paul Nicholls
2008-08-05 00:23:15 UTC
Post by Lee Jenkins
Post by Ed Dressel
Post by Mr. G
for the correct pronunciation of the accented characters listen to this
http://youtu.be/0EBfjFiNrak half French half Spanish.
is there a YouTube for pronouncing 'Delphi' ?<g>
I could be wrong, but from listening to various webcasts, etc, it seems
that Americans like to say delphi like Delpheye whilst our friends abroad
seem to prefer Delphee.
Am I wrong?
--
Warm Regards,
Lee
I and others here (in Australia) pronounce it Delphee.

cheers,
Paul
Pieter Zijlstra
2008-08-05 00:37:18 UTC
Post by Paul Nicholls
Post by Lee Jenkins
to this http://youtu.be/0EBfjFiNrak half French
half Spanish.
is there a YouTube for pronouncing 'Delphi' ?<g>
I could be wrong, but from listening to various webcasts, etc, it
seems that Americans like to say delphi like Delpheye whilst our
friends abroad seem to prefer Delphee.
Am I wrong?
Nope ;-)
Post by Paul Nicholls
I and others here (in Australia) pronounce it Delphee.
It's good to see that there are English speaking nations who do know
how to properly pronounce Delphi ;-)
Pieter
Graeme Geldenhuys
2008-08-05 06:56:19 UTC
Post by Pieter Zijlstra
It's good to see that there are English speaking nations who do know
how to properly pronounce Delphi ;-)
[...looking nervously around for bombs in the sky...]

England also pronounces it 'Delphee'. I can then conclude that the
Americans must be wrong. After all the English language originated from
England, not the USA. :-)

PS:
No I'm not from England.

John E. Wilfong
2008-08-05 07:16:39 UTC
After all the English language originated from England, not the USA.
More important is where was Delphi created? This origin would provide
the correct pronunciation. ;)
John
Graeme Geldenhuys
2008-08-05 08:49:34 UTC
Post by John E. Wilfong
More important is where was Delphi created? This origin would provide
the correct pronunciation. ;)
Delphi is a Greek word as far as I know. ;-)

Michael Fritz
2008-08-05 14:08:17 UTC
"Graeme Geldenhuys" wrote in message
Post by Graeme Geldenhuys
Delphi is a Greek word as far as I know. ;-)
But surely not written with Latin characters ;-)
--
cu,
Michael
John E. Wilfong
2008-08-05 15:34:56 UTC
Post by Graeme Geldenhuys
Delphi is a Greek word as far as I know. ;-)
Doesn't matter. See response to John Jacobson.
John
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
2008-08-05 17:19:16 UTC
Post by John E. Wilfong
After all the English language originated from England, not the USA.
More important is where was Delphi created?
Who cares? If they can't even properly pronounce the name they chose
for their own project, their problem. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] http://www.teamb.com

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In
both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains
unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all must be most
aware of change in the air — however slight — lest we become
unwitting victims of the darkness."
-- Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas
Lars Fosdal
2008-08-06 10:35:59 UTC
Post by Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
Post by John E. Wilfong
After all the English language originated from England, not the USA.
More important is where was Delphi created?
Who cares? If they can't even properly pronounce the name they chose
for their own project, their problem. <g>
Funny thing is...
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/delphi

Random House Unabridged Dictionary - Del·phi [del-fahy]
American Heritage Dictionary - Del·phi (del'fi') (or in Unicode: del'fi')

Even american sources disagree with themselves...
Lars F. http://lars.fosdal.com
John Jacobson
2008-08-05 13:50:25 UTC
Post by Graeme Geldenhuys
England also pronounces it 'Delphee'. I can then conclude that the
Americans must be wrong. After all the English language originated from
England, not the USA. :-)
By that logic all languages derived from another are wrong, thus
invalidating the language spoken in England too.
John E. Wilfong
2008-08-05 15:33:11 UTC
Post by John Jacobson
By that logic all languages derived from another are wrong, thus
invalidating the language spoken in England too.
Nope. Just a parent can name a child and decide the pronunciation of
that name so can the creator of a product. It wouldn't matter the
origin of the name.
John
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
2008-08-05 08:00:00 UTC
Post by Paul Nicholls
I and others here (in Australia) pronounce it Delphee.
'Struth! Bonza bewdy cobber!
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
TJC Support
2008-08-05 13:52:56 UTC
Post by Paul Nicholls
I and others here (in Australia) pronounce it Delphee.
I may be alone, and it could be because I'm a hillbilly bumpkin, but I seem
to be one of few Americans that goes along with the Delphee pronunciation.
May be because Delpheye sounds too hoity-toity to me.... :^)

G'day mate,
Van
John E. Wilfong
2008-08-05 15:37:10 UTC
Post by TJC Support
few Americans that goes along with the Delphee pronunciation.
I pronounce it that way too although I'm arguing in another subthread
that the creator has the ultimate right to determine pronunciation.
John
Mr. G
2008-08-05 16:07:50 UTC
if the creator suffer dyslexia like me then it's ok to use the correct
pronunciation. ;-)
John
Paul Nicholls
2008-08-05 23:46:19 UTC
Post by TJC Support
Post by Paul Nicholls
I and others here (in Australia) pronounce it Delphee.
I may be alone, and it could be because I'm a hillbilly bumpkin, but I
seem to be one of few Americans that goes along with the Delphee
pronunciation. May be because Delpheye sounds too hoity-toity to me....
:^)
G'day mate,
Van
<G> G'day Van :-)
cheers,
Paul
Eder Gusatto
Paul
Graeme Geldenhuys
2008-08-05 06:50:01 UTC
Post by Lee Jenkins
I could be wrong, but from listening to various webcasts, etc, it seems
that Americans like to say delphi like Delpheye whilst our friends
abroad seem to prefer Delphee.
Am I wrong?
Spot on Lee! Everybody I spoke to in the UK, South Africa and parts of
Europe pronounced it Delphee. Only Americans pronounce it Delpheye. :-)

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
2008-08-05 11:48:54 UTC
Post by Lee Jenkins
Post by Ed Dressel
Post by Mr. G
for the correct pronunciation of the accented characters listen
to this http://youtu.be/0EBfjFiNrak half French
half Spanish.
is there a YouTube for pronouncing 'Delphi' ?<g>
I could be wrong, but from listening to various webcasts, etc, it
seems that Americans like to say delphi like Delpheye whilst our
friends abroad seem to prefer Delphee.
Am I wrong?
Correct.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] http://www.teamb.com

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it
for the rest of your life." -- Michael Sinz
TJC Support
2008-08-05 13:56:22 UTC
Post by Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
Post by Lee Jenkins
I could be wrong, but from listening to various webcasts, etc, it
seems that Americans like to say delphi like Delpheye whilst our
friends abroad seem to prefer Delphee.
Am I wrong?
Correct.
LOL! Seldom have I seen a more succinctly stated ambiguity. Well done,
Rudy. :^)

Cheers,
Van
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
2008-08-05 16:39:52 UTC
Post by TJC Support
Post by Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
Post by Lee Jenkins
I could be wrong, but from listening to various webcasts, etc, it
seems that Americans like to say delphi like Delpheye whilst our
friends abroad seem to prefer Delphee.
Am I wrong?
Correct.
LOL! Seldom have I seen a more succinctly stated ambiguity. Well
done, Rudy. :^)
I meant he was NOT wrong.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] http://www.teamb.com

"I think it would be a good idea."
-- Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948), when asked what he thought of
Western civilization
Mr. G
2008-08-05 01:00:34 UTC
I haven't seen any video with good rhythm like El Tiburón ;-)
Andy Syms
2008-08-05 08:43:09 UTC
Post by Ed Dressel
is there a YouTube for pronouncing 'Delphi' ?<g>
Full marks to Dale Fuller when he was CEO. At a UK presentation he
made a point of pronouncing it Del-fee. :-)
--
Andy Syms
Technosoft Systems Ltd
Richard Foersom
2008-08-05 20:36:26 UTC
Post by Ed Dressel
is there a YouTube for pronouncing 'Delphi' ?<g>
No, but on the Delpi Wiki there is a list of how it is pronounced
around the world.

<http://delphi.wikia.com/wiki/Delphi_Pronunciation>

BTW, I am sure Anders Hejlsberg pronounce it Delf-ee with a Danish
accent.

Doei RIF
marc hoffman
2008-08-04 15:42:22 UTC
Graeme,
Also: How many native English speaking developers can actually type the
word Tiburón without the Alt+<number> process? ;-)
easy: Option+E, O

<g>
--
marc hoffman

RemObjects Software
The Infrastructure Company
http://www.remobjects.com
Markus.Humm
2008-08-04 16:57:29 UTC
Hello,

I as a native german speaking person with a german keyboard layout (we
don't have umlauts with accents here in germany) can type Tiburón
perfectly well without switching the keyboard layout!

Greetings

Markus
Q Correll
2008-08-04 20:10:23 UTC
Markus,

| I as a native german speaking person with a german keyboard layout (we
don't have umlauts with accents here in germany) can type Tiburón
perfectly well without switching the keyboard layout!

I noticed. <g>

08/04/2008 13:10:16

XanaNews Version 1.18.1.11 [Leonel's & Q's Mods]
Markus.Humm
2008-08-05 18:09:09 UTC
Q Correll schrieb:

[snip]
Post by Q Correll
I noticed. <g>
Fine ;-)
Pieter Zijlstra
2008-08-04 22:49:56 UTC
Post by Graeme Geldenhuys
Just curious... Was the name Tiburón chosen on purpose to denote
Unicode support?
Also: How many native English speaking developers can actually type
the word Tiburón without the Alt+<number> process? ;-)
Hint: Switch to Programmer Dvorak layout and you have no troubles at
all with any accented characters. WinKey+'+o = ó
Just to show that Rudy's newsreader could show Tiburón if he would
just change the source a little ;-)
--
Pieter

XanaNews 1.18.1.11c
Graeme Geldenhuys
2008-08-05 06:59:17 UTC
Post by Pieter Zijlstra
Just to show that Rudy's newsreader could show Tiburón if he would
just change the source a little ;-)
That's what I like to hear! :-)

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
2008-08-05 11:49:40 UTC
Post by Pieter Zijlstra
Post by Graeme Geldenhuys
Just curious... Was the name Tiburón chosen on purpose to denote
Unicode support?
Also: How many native English speaking developers can actually type
the word Tiburón without the Alt+<number> process? ;-)
Hint: Switch to Programmer Dvorak layout and you have no troubles at
all with any accented characters. WinKey+'+o = ó
Just to show that Rudy's newsreader could show Tiburón if he would
just change the source a little ;-)
I only see Tibur. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] http://www.teamb.com

"The concept is interesting and well-formed, but in order to
earn better than a 'C', the idea must be feasible."
-- A Yale University management professor in response to student
Fred Smith's paper proposing reliable overnight delivery
service (Smith went on to found Federal Express Corp.)
Mr. G
2008-08-05 15:09:18 UTC
Post by Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
I only see Tibur. <g>
Reset the subject editbox margins <g>
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
2008-08-05 16:40:49 UTC
Post by Mr. G
Post by Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
I only see Tibur. <g>
Reset the subject editbox margins <g>
I guess it is because I don't have version 11c, whoever wrote that.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] http://www.teamb.com

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good
men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
Pieter Zijlstra
2008-08-05 21:49:15 UTC
Post by Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
I guess it is because I don't have version 11c
There isn't any, it is the current revision (45) on Leonel's SVN server

;)
Pieter
Q Correll
2008-08-05 22:42:20 UTC
Pieter,

| | I guess it is because I don't have version 11c
|
| There isn't any, it is the current revision (45) on Leonel's SVN server

This is what you typed to me earlier this morning: "11c is 45".

I wish you would make up your mind. <g>

08/05/2008 15:41:16

XanaNews Version 1.18.1.11 [Leonel's & Pieter's & Q's Mods]